At the Red Cross, there is no such thing as a small disaster. In every single case it is the Red Cross’ mission to help people affected by disaster meet their emergency needs that include shelter, food, clothing, and health and mental health services. As a paid staff member, you will support our loyal Red Cross disaster volunteers who serve selflessly to provide a bridge of assistance until individuals and families can resume a normal life.
Our disaster volunteers are the heart and soul of our mission to respond to emergencies and provide relief to victims of disasters. They serve in a number of capacities, including Disaster Action Team Member, Disaster Assessment, Caseworker, Mass Care Feeding, Emergency Response Vehicle (ERV) Driver, Shelter Manager/Staff, Disaster Health Services and Disaster Mental Health.
We are currently seeking a Marketing and Communication Manager (Harrisburg, PA) to work in our Harrisburg, PA office. This position will work 8:00am to 5:00pm Monday through Friday, and some weekends and evenings will be required during times of business need. Travel will also be involved up to 35% of the time.
The Marketing and Communication Manager is a critical component of the American Red Cross regional team and infrastructure. It is responsible for carrying out the communications and marketing functions in local markets to drive results. It works to raise the visibility of the Red Cross to help communities understand how to access Red Cross services and supports revenue generation across all parts or the organization.
Reporting to the Regional Communication Director with a dotted line to the Division Marketing Leader, this position works in close collaboration with divisional field marketing, local fundraising, disaster cycle, SAF, Biomedical services, Health and Safety and volunteer management staff to provide communication and marketing support.
- Strategy: In partnership with the Regional Communication Director and the Field Marketing Divisional Leader, implements a strategic plan that is aligned with broader corporate communication and marketing priorities that supports service delivery and revenue generation efforts across all lines of service. Working with Field Marketing Divisional leader, creates and develops strategies for promoting and selling PHSS products or services and increasing enrollment in PHSS classes. Advises Field Marketing on local and regional opportunities to enhance sales of PHSS products, services and increase enrollment.
- Public Affairs: Acts as on-the –record spokesperson when appropriate and supports executives and Board of Directors as the face of the Red Cross through media visibility, interview coaching and preparation, etc. Leads and supports all Disaster Public Affairs activities for the region through the entire disaster cycle. Ensures that duty is delegated to appropriately trained staff or volunteers. Supports Disaster Public Affairs efforts across the division, and potentially, on the national level. May be required to deploy to support disaster response operations outside their region or may be tasked to help with public affairs volunteer training and development across the division.
- Media Relations: Develops and implements a social media strategy for the region that reflects the priorities of the region and is aligned with the corporate social media strategy. Maintains positive relationships with members of the media across the region and works with executives and other staff to manage media efforts and relationships across multiple media markets in a region. Participates in the distribution and preparation of press materials. Produces relevant local content for regional web and social platforms.
- Internal Communications: Supports executive level internal and external communication initiatives.
- Marketing Content: Utilizing Brand Central and the Field Marketing Team, develops brand and creative content to support a variety of activities and advertising material used in external publications and media placements. Secures in-kind PSA placements with Field Marketing. In partnership with the Field Marketing Group, coordinates resources necessary for the delivery of online and direct mail/direct response programs (CDRP).
- Management: Develops and sets individual and departmental team performance goals and manages/drives change. Manages and leads assigned staff and volunteers. Supervises and delegates responsibilities to staff and volunteers.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.
- Customer Focused
- Strong Interpersonal Communication
- Strong Written and Oral Communications
- Dealing with Ambiguity/learning on the Fly
- Motivating Others/Influencing
- Priority Setting
- Problem Solving
Essential Functions/Physical Requirements:
Depending on work assignment, may require ordinary ambulatory skills sufficient to visit other locations; or the ability to stand, walk and manipulate (lift, carry, move) light to medium weights of up to 20 pounds. Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm, hand and finger dexterity, including ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard, operate equipment and read technical information. Overall mobility is essential. May include sitting for long periods of time, driving a vehicle and working under challenging conditions.
Work is performed indoors with some potential for exposure to safety and health hazards related to emergency services relief work. May travel and participate in meetings and conferences throughout chapter jurisdiction, state and Red Cross system. Because the Red Cross is a disaster response organization, staff may be asked to be on 24-hour call during period of major disaster.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Marketing, Public Relations, Journalism or related field required.
Minimum 5 years communications and/or marketing experience required. Account Management experience desirable.
Experience working with media as an on-the-record spokesperson is preferred. Demonstrated experience managing and interacting with the public social media platforms for an organization is required. Experience with marketing during major national and international disasters preferred. A working knowledge across a broad spectrum of marketing functions is required, including Brand and Creative Marketing, Direct Mail and e-Mail Marketing, web-based services and mobile applications. Must be comfortable using MAP/Convio, Brand Central, website updating tools and other marketing tools.
Management Experience: Minimum 3 years staff management experience. Demonstrated ability to work effectively and persuasively with Field Marketing partners and regional leadership. Experience with marketing during major national and international disasters preferred.
Skills and Abilities: Outstanding communication skills (oral and written) required. Strong teamwork and collaboration required.
Demonstrates strong commitment and passion for mission of American Red Cross.