The Department of Revenue is seeking an experienced and motivated individual to serve as press secretary for the Pennsylvania Lottery. The person who fills this position will be the primary spokesperson for a $4 billion business that is the only state Lottery to designate all of its proceeds to programs that benefit older Pennsylvanians.
DESCRIPTION OF WORK
This position will be responsible for planning, directing, organizing and coordinating the public communications for the Lottery. Work includes preparing news releases to increase Lottery winner awareness; developing responses to media requests for information; assisting the Department of Revenue’s communications director in developing the Lottery’s communications strategy; and writing speeches, talking points and other internal and external communications, including brochures and newsletters.
This position will also coordinate events with Lottery winners, retailers, Lottery personnel and the appropriate media in a manner suitable to gain the maximum media coverage.
Much of this work is of high visibility and sensitivity and involves the application of discretion and tact in divulging sensitive information.
- Proven ability to effectively manage competing priorities in a fast paced environment.
- Strong writing and editing skills, including the Associated Press style of writing.
- Strong communication and public speaking skills.
- Knowledge of local and state media.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of state government.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and judge public reaction.
- Experience developing and implementing media events and communications plans.
Read the complete position description for more information.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE, TRAINING & ELIGIBILITY
Five years of professional experience in the field of public relations, including three years in a responsible administrative or supervisory capacity and one year serving as a public spokesperson, and a bachelor’s degree with major course work in journalism, communications, English, or a closely related field.
An equivalent combination of experience and training.